Dixie Electric works hard to keep the cost of electric service low for its members. The following outlines the initial fees for connecting service, and fees that may be encountered after service is connected. Interest is not paid on any refundable fee. This list does not include all fees and charges required by Dixie Electric, but will provide an overview of financial commitment to the Association.
- $50 Membership Fee
- Individuals desiring electric service are required to become a member of the Association. The membership fee is refundable upon termination of service. Membership fees are not transferable.
- $50 Additional Meter Fee
- A deposit per meter must be paid with the Association. All meters require a deposit.
- Consumer Deposits
- Deposits for noncommercial accounts will be determined by using a combination of the credit report received from an external credit reporting service and the credit rating within the cooperative’s computer billing system based on the member’s history with the cooperative. The report returning the highest deposit will be used based on the following chart. Prepaid billing accounts are not required to pay a consumer deposit.
Credit Reporting Service Billing System Credit History Deposit Amount Green Light Gold or Silver $0 Yellow Light Bronze $200 Red Light Poor $400
- $30 Service Charge (plus applicable taxes)
- Required when Dixie Electric personnel visit the location of an account to set a meter, collect an overdue bill or perform other tasks other than normal maintenance between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- $80 Service Charge (plus applicable taxes)
- Required when Dixie Electric personnel visit the location of an account to set a meter, collect an overdue bill or perform other tasks if requested by the member to be completed after 5 p.m. or on weekends or a holiday.
- $20 Return Check Fee
- This fee is required for any check returned to Dixie Electric by the bank.
- $30 Meter Test Fee (plus applicable taxes)
- Members who request a test of their meter for accuracy will be charged this fee. This fee is refunded if the meter is reading inaccurately.
Meter Tampering Affects Us All
When a neighbor or acquaintance tampers with his/her meter, it’s illegal, and it costs you money. Those who steal electricity eventually get caught, but the sooner they get caught, the better. If you know of an incident, please report it. It will help keep the cost of electricity as low as possible.
- $200 Meter Tampering Charge
- This charge will be paid by any member whose meter indicates signs of tampering. This fee is in addition to estimated power use.
For construction charges contact one of Dixie Electric’s office locations or review the Line Extension Policy.