It's almost time to deck those halls! Statistics show that home fires and electrical accidents typically increase during winter months, so keep these holiday lighting tips in mind for a safe holiday season.
- Carefully inspect all electrical decorations before you use them. Cracked or damaged sockets and/or loose or exposed wires can cause serious shock or start a fire.
- Consider purchasing LED lights, which use less energy and run cooler than traditional incandescent lights.
- Never mount or support light strings in a way that might damage the cord's insulation.
- Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.
- Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord's insulation.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
So while you trim the tree this year, keep these tips in mind for a safe and Merry Christmas.